Everything (almost) I use associated with this website and my day to day work.
- Can’t be beaten for vector editing. I use Illustrator for a lot of design work.
- For all the things Illustrator can’t do, mostly photo editing.
- I’m a recent Figma convert, for day to day at work it helps keep me much more efficient. It’s easier to retain consistency throughout and those you’re working with.
- So many handy little tools that help designing. Rulers, colour blindness testing, etc. As well as the companion app xScope mirror.
- Gifox (gif recording)
- A fab menu bar app for recording gifs. I use this to demonstrate things quickly in my posts.
- If I need a screenshot of a website I’ll usually turn to this app. It’s generally the most flawless way to get a screenshot of a website (and in bulk). Although I still use webkit2png and you can use Chrome too.
- I write all code in Coda, nothing beats a Panic app for quality.
- Coda plugins
- EditorConfig, PhpPlugin and Dash Coda
- Panic Palette syntax theme
- A syntax theme by Panic, for Terminal and other editors.
- Panic Sans
- The default typeface bundled with Coda, so you won’t be able to get it elsewhere. I’ve experimented with others, but I always return to the default.
- An easy and convenient way to search documentation for pretty much every language.
- Apple Terminal
- I use the Panic Palette and zsh (using ohmyzsh). I don’t use a git client either, all done through Terminal.
- Like Coda, I’ve been a long time user of Things. It’s the GTD (get things done) way of working I like about it, as I’m not that organised. It’s also wonderfully designed.
- iA Writer
- A simple markdown editor. All posts start here then are copied and pasted into the CMS. Syncs with iCloud so I can write anywhere.
- Keeping all my valuable files backed up and accessible anywhere.
- A spotlight replacement for Mac, with loads of handy features and workflows.
- Averta from TDF
- I use Averta for headings.
- Freight Text Pro from Tyepkit
- I use Freight Text Pro for body copy.
- CMS used to run this website.
- The host of this website. Referral link.
- Fuss free server setup and keeps everything up to date security wise. Referral link.
- Really simple deployments.
Get the articles
It’s my aim to help you be a better designer. Join my monthlyish email list and I’ll send new tutorials to help you design & code beautiful websites.
I also do the occasional design critique, which you get access to for being a subscriber—send a design through after subscribing. Also, there’s some older templates and post files included. You can unsubscribe anytime.